The town name Beer, owes its origins to the words bere and beare, old English for woodlands. All approaches to the town are evidence to the fact that the town's woodland origins are no distant memory. The town freely rambles over a number of
levels and its steep slopes have been utilised in the past for many diverse reasons. Sherborne Abbey, which used to be one of the largest landowners in the vicinity used the unusual geography of Beer to cultivate grapes for alcoholic drinks.
Beer's problem for many years, was its lack of community facilities, a problem rectified in 1958 with the construction of the Mariners Hall.
Many esteemed mariners have emerged from Beer over the years, decades and centuries. With long days at sea to occupy the men, the women of the town turned their attention to their own source of income. During the lace-making era, many local women spent their days producing intricate lace garments that soon gained Honiton a world class reputation as a lace-making centre. Although Honiton was the centre of trading, the lace-making itself was multi-centred and Beer women shared the honour of having made the lace accoutrements to the wedding gown of Queen Victoria.
It was in Queen Victoria's honour that the people of Beer built the Jubilee Gardens, high on the cliffs over-looking the splendid sea views.